About the Firm
Investing in BLACK and other UNDERREPRESENTED/UNDERINVESTED Entrepreneurs in CLEANTECH
BlackTech Capital is a Toronto based pre-seed fund that invests in Black and Other Underrepresented Founders focused on CleanTech, leveraging partnerships with top organizations, universities & accelerators and the managers’ expertise, networks and track record in growing several companies to 9x valuation increases.
The UN declared that “Climate change is inextricably linked to poverty and hunger” thus underrepresented groups are more likely to be working on solutions.
$4 trillion left on the table by Venture capitalists by not investing in diverse founders - Morgan Stanley
“Underrepresented founders have an advantage shaped by grit; their experience as minorities that gives them unique perspectives on the big challenges facing society”
The Global CleanTech market is expected to exceed $3.3 Trillion this year (2022). Currently there are 13 Canadian companies in the the Global CleanTech 100 Innovation Index and Canada is ranked 2nd on that list, the USA is ranked 1st.
BlackTech Capital is a Toronto based pre-seed fund that invests in Black and other Underrepresented Founders focused on CleanTech, leveraging partnerships with top organizations, universities & accelerators and the managers’ expertise, networks and track record in growing several companies to 9x valuation increases.
We Source the Best of the Best by Finding and Validating companies through our partnerships with Top Accelerators and Universities, including:
- Foresight Canada
- Founder Institute (largest pre-seed accelerator in the world)
- Toronto Metropolitan University (#1 university-based tech incubator in the world)
- The World Economic Forum's Open Innovation Platform - Uplink
- Canadian Black Chamber of Commerce - Sustainability Program Initiative
- University of Toronto's Black Founders Network
- Howard University and many others
Our Investment Process Includes:
- Founder Validation - Ongoing Mentoring & Monitoring (after sourcing)
- Due Diligence - Internal & 3rd Party Review
- Become Lead Investor
- Add Investors through our network of VC Funds
- Secure Grant Funding (Undiluted Capital) for our Portfolio Companies
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada, Breakthrough Energy Foundation
- Strategic Networks of the GPs and venture partners extend into the executives of many top organizations for potential partnerships and customers for BTC's companies.
- Establish a Board Seat for continued strategic support
Managing General Partner - Bryan Duarte
General Partner - Keyona Meeks
General Partner - Keyona Meeks
Venture Partners & Advisory Board for environmental, ecosystemic, financial, technical, legal, portfolio management, partner management, fund back office and venture fund expertise including Adeo Ressi & Mike Suprovici of VC Lab, Yamila Franco, Daniel Nieto and Howard Pearlmutter.
Our focus areas
- Carbon Capture
- Circular Economy
Meet Our Team
Our Extended Team
CEO, VC Lab
Daniel Nieto, CFA
Partner, Bayxis Capital
Head Of Acceleration, VC Lab
The Mensarius Oath
I support the Mensarius Oath for ethical investing